Raising or lowering California child support

The cost of almost everything always seems to be going up, and raising a child is no different. Especially in California, raising children can be extremely expensive. For single parents, the cost can be exorbitant. Mothers and fathers can address this situation, though, by securing a valid child support order per California's child support guidelines. Child support can help pay for a child's every day expenses, medical needs, extracurricular expenses and various other financial needs.

However, what happens when the amount of child support is not enough, or when it may be too much for the non-custodial parent to pay? It is possible to raise or lower one's monthly child support payments. The process does not happen automatically, just because one or both parents believes it should be altered. Typically, a California family lawyer can offer professional guidance regarding modifying an existing child support order.

Either parent can request a modification through a Request for Order. If both parents are in agreement on the change, a form known as the Stipulation to Establish or Modify Child Support and Order can be filed. After the proper paperwork has been filed, the court will then issue its decision. Usually, this decision is based on each parent's current situation, particularly each parent's income and the amount of time that parent spends with the child.

Usually, a change in support is considered if either parent has experienced a significant change in his or her income. Changes can also result from a parent experiencing a notable change in the amount of time spent with the child. If a custodial or non-custodial parent is unsure if their circumstances qualify for a change in support, an Orange County family lawyer can be of assistance.