Divorce is often a painful and stressful process for everyone involved. Make the process easier by reading our divorce tips below. Our attorneys can help walk you through the process and make sure that your divorce goes as smoothly as possible.
If you are going through a divorce, avoid these common mistakes:
- Making children choose sides: Divorce can be very hard on children. Don’t make it even harder by making them choose sides or forgetting about their needs. Do your best to form a united front with your spouse and make sure that your children feel loved and protected.
- Letting your emotions get in the way: There is no doubt that divorce can involve a rollercoaster of emotions. But don’t make important decisions based solely on your emotions - Try to be objective. If you act out of anger or make choices just to spite your ex, this can be detrimental to you in the long run.
- Lying or hiding assets: Always provide accurate financial records regarding your assets, properties, and debt. Attempting to hide assets or lying about your income can land you in big trouble with the court.
- Refusing to compromise: Realize that you cannot always get what you want. Reaching a middle ground with your spouse can help both of you move forward, minimize stress, and reduce overall costs of a divorce.
- Posting on social media recklessly: It has become more common for social media posts, pictures, and videos to be used in divorce court. Anything you say on the internet can be used against you. If you post about partying every weekend, your spouse may accuse you of being a poor parent. Always think before your post anything – or better yet – turn off social media until your divorce is over.
- Not hiring the right lawyer: Chances are your spouse will hire a lawyer so you will too so that your interests are protected. But make sure that you hire the right attorney to handle your specific case. Ask your attorney these important questions: How much experience does he or she have handling similar cases? What is his or her approach to resolving disputes? Don’t hire an attorney who is eager to litigate if you want an easy and affordable divorce.
We know that divorce is hard. At Burch, Coulston & Shepard, LLP, we never lose sight of the fact that the decisions you make in your divorce can affect you for the rest of your life. Our divorce attorneys in Newport Beach can help you find a solution that works – and one that makes sense for you and your children. Schedule your free initial consultation today by calling (949) 565-4158.