Elected official's estranged wife seeks restraining order

It is an unfortunate reality that there are relationships in which physical abuse is an issue. This happens in California and across the country. When a person has been abused in a relationship, there are options available such as seeking a restraining order. For those who are considering getting a protective order, a restraining order or seeking some other form of help to stop abuse, it is important to know what legal steps to take.

An assemblyman in California received an order that he stay away from his wife due to allegations that he committed physical abuse against her. The couple is estranged and is in the process of getting a divorce. His wife made a declaration in getting the order that her husband has committed acts of choking and hitting her since they married in 2013. The assemblyman, elected in 2010, has stated that the wife never suggested that such an order would be necessary in the process of their divorce, which has been ongoing for more than a year.

A person who is dealing with violence in the home or any other form of domestic abuse needs to know that there are protections available. The abuser can be anyone from a spouse to a family member or to someone who is living in the household. There are several options available when seeking to have a protective order to stop the abuse. These include an emergency protective order, a temporary restraining order, and a permanent restraining order. Some situations might be totally different and involve accusations of domestic violence that are not true. This can happen when there is a dispute over child custody. That too needs to be dealt with through the law.

In this case, a California lawmaker is accused of domestic violence by his estranged wife and she is seeking protection from him. He is denying the allegation. Regardless of the outcome, everyone who is having a problem in an abusive relationship needs to know how to be protected with help from an experienced legal professional.