Do you believe you and your spouse are in agreement on all critical issues, making it unnecessary to hire a divorce lawyer? Are you thinking about handling your own divorce in the effort to avoid attorney fees? Although do-it-yourself divorce is legal and possible in theory, there are many dangers and potentially serious complications.
People who are extremely intelligent and accomplished in their own fields often find the legal processes associated with California divorce overwhelming. You do not have to hire a Board Certified Family Law Specialist at our firm — but we recommend that you talk to us before you take chances you may later regret.
Have You Assessed All the Risks? Prepared To Devote Many Hours Of Effort?
Clients have come to our Orange County family law firm who, thinking they had completed a legal divorce, mistakenly entered bigamous marriages. Others have become frustrated after devoting countless hours to the process and having their own careers suffer.
- The dangers of do-it-yourself divorce include:
- Mistakes in filing required court forms and failures to meet filing dates, resulting in lengthy delays and the inability to wrap the matter up for many months or even years.
- Consenting to court orders on critical issues such as child support, spousal support and property division without fully understanding the legal and financial implications.
- Failure to account for tax consequences of key financial decisions, leading to unexpected costs and financial adversity in the aftermath.
- Running into specialized court requirements such as a demand for proper presentation of evidence without the knowledge required to properly present such evidence.
Informed Legal Counsel Early In The Process Can Prevent Serious Mistakes
If you are considering a "DIY divorce" or legal separation, please recognize that you will be held to the same standard as an attorney. No judge will make allowances based on your decision to represent yourself. Many people hit roadblocks along the way that leave them no choice but to seek professional counsel.
At The Law Offices of Burch, Coulston & Shepard, LLP, we never look to over-complicate a case, but we are rigorous in protecting each client's interests.
To discuss whether you need qualified representation in your Orange County divorce or other family law matter, call us today at (949) 565-4158!