Orange County law firms are not all the same. In fact, while there are many accomplished firms in our area, they differ widely in size, mission, scope, attorney qualifications and other areas. When considering or facing divorce, it is critical to get counsel quickly, but also to be thorough and thoughtful in choosing a lawyer and firm to represent you.
Important Considerations When Evaluating Family Law Firms
Essential questions to address in making your choice of legal counsel include:
- Does the firm maintain a genuine focus on divorce and family law, or do the attorneys spread their energies and attentions across numerous other practice areas?
- Do the attorneys have strong qualifications and a well-defined approach?
- Does the firm have solid, relevant experience handling cases similar in some respects to your own?
- Is the firm equally accomplished in obtaining settlements through negotiation, guiding clients through mediation if appropriate, and handling adversarial trial litigation?
- Are your interactions with firm personnel respectful and professional — yet caring and warm?
- Do you feel comfortable talking openly with the attorney who will handle your case, and does he or she listen attentively to you or rush you and dominate the conversation?
- If your divorce is financially complex, with substantial assets hanging in the balance, is the firm capable of spotting key issues, performing the necessary analysis and calling on quality external resources as needed?
Legal knowledge and skill levels will almost certainly impact the outcomes of your divorce. Your family law attorney's direct experience in the court where your case will be decided, and the reputation he or she has established, can also make a pivotal difference.
At The Law Offices of Burch & Coulston, LLP, we know that our firm is not the ideal fit for every potential client. We believe strongly, however, in the value of working with Certified Family Law Specialists as recognized by the State Bar of California Board of Legal Specialization. Our Orange County divorce lawyers and staff take pride in our track record of achieving positive results for our clients through focused personal attention and dedication to our profession.
To learn more about us and discuss your family law challenge, we encourage you to call or e-mail our offices in Irvine anytime.